Friday, June 19, 2009

{simon & manon...}


I’m a city girl…tried and true! I just adore the look and feel of corner coffee shops, urban architecture and all the stories that walk past me on the street every day. I love the endless culinary possibilities and knowing that somewhere, someone is always awake at all hours of the night. I especially love driving back to the city after having been away and seeing the skyline off in the distance…there is something strangely comforting about it.

A couple of weekends ago, I was walking through a big field in Cantley, Québec; a small rural community about forty-five minutes outside of Ottawa. I was there with Simon on the afternoon of his wedding as we made our way to a sand pit where he and his friends spent a lot of time growing up…a place that a city girl like me would seldom ever find herself! We had just left his house where the guys had been getting ready and where incidentally, the bride’s parents lived two doors down. In many ways, Simon was, quite literally, marrying the girl next door!

Given the amount of time spent at the sand pit during their younger days, Simon requested a few pictures along the cliff with his groomsmen. As we made our way through the field, Simon pointed out the elementary school where he and his friends all met and just next door was the hundred and forty year old church where he was about to marry his longtime love, Manon. It was astounding to me the memories that were contained within this small rural area and the proximity in which so much had happened. An entire lifetime had occurred in this beautiful little corner of Québec and a whole new life was about to begin in the very same place. That is certainly a charm that is not easily found in the jungles of the city.

So off we went for one last visit to the sand pit before Simon said “I do” and I have to admit that I was quite proud of myself for not even letting the black flies keep me from having a great time! Really, it’s hard not to laugh when a bunch of guys in tuxedos are jumping through the air in a giant field for your photographic entertainment!!!!

And as I drove home that night and saw the Ottawa skyline approaching ahead of me, I had to smile knowing that for all the things I love about the city…it’s even better when you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Thank you Simon and Manon for inviting me into your wonderful world!



{click the icon on the bottom right hand side for a full screen view of the slideshow!}

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Its was with great delight that I heard that Genevieve had taken Manon and Simon`s wedding pictures, I have known Manon since she was a baby and her mom is one of my best friends but unfortunately I was unable to attend the wedding. Also I have know Gen for quite a while and had the pleasure of working with her, but what I did not know was the hidden talent that she has when it comes to taking photographs. Gen your work is awesome your creativity just blows me away. Watch out world I think some day we may see Genevieve`s work hanging on the walls of the National Gallery.

Manon and Simon, what a beautiful couple you make sorry I missed your wonderful day.

Christina said...

So it's been a while since I've "stalked" your pictures Gen - I get the previews and forget to check daily, shame on moi! - but wow, maybe it's a good thing because I fall in love with your pictures all over again. Hello Manon & Simon, nice to meet you lol. I think your wedding must have been AWESOME just from looking at your pictures. Congratulations - your smiles and the beauty of the day moved me - over here in London ON!