Sunday, April 26, 2009

{the best bump of all...}


For as long as I can remember, I’ve always wanted to be self-employed. Even as a little girl, while my friends played house…I played entrepreneur! Even my Barbie dolls were always fiercely independent women…owning clothing stores and hot dog stands! One of them even owned a cattle ranch in the spare bedroom of our house!! Self-employment really suits my personality and I do hope that one day, in the not so distant future, it will be my every day life.

No matter how or when this happens though, there is one thing that I will miss immensely when the time comes, and that’s having co-workers! The people that I work with at my “day job” are amazing and they make going to work every day a blast. Come to think of it, some of my closest friends are people that I have met through work. Granted, not all colleagues deserve a gold star (I’ve heard stories!) but if there is one thing that I have been blessed with, it has been the highest standard of people with which to share eight hours of every day! In all reality, we tend to see our colleagues more than any other people during our work week and in most cases, my colleagues have come to be my friends first and foremost.

That’s why it was such an honour when my long time colleague, France, asked me if I would go to their home to photograph her and her family in the weeks leading up to the arrival of their second baby.

France and I were hired mere months apart from each other and in the five years that we’ve known each other, we’ve watched each other get engaged, get married, buy houses, have children and just about every thing in between. I will be enduring her second maternity leave very soon and I can say with utmost certainty that her absence in my day-to-day life feels numerous and plenty.

Few things move me as much as photographing a family. The intimacy of watching parents and their children together often leaves me feeling like I should look away because it’s so private and precious. Yet, that’s my job…to catch those little moments that make them such a fabulous family and make their life together such a gift. And really, it’s the very least that I can do for the woman that makes my other job such a hilarious place to experience every day!
















1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.